Former players, managers, supporters and members of Finchampstead Football Club will join up again in July to pay tribute to club secretary Nick Markham who sadly passed away in February 2018.
Markham, who was secretary of the Berkshire side from 2002, was diagnosed with cancer in late 2017.
Former Finch captain Adam Barnard writes: “Nick played a huge part in taking a club with 10 teams and 120 members to 25 teams and 320 members – and we would love to pay tribute to him and say thank you.”
Barnard added: “Last year’s Markham Cup ended up a thrilling 3-3 draw, with the Finch Blue’s winning on penalties, meaning the cup went to Nick’s son, George last year.
“As Nick’s passion was ensuring the sustainability of the youth programme at Finchampstead, it’s only right that all proceeds raised on the day go into the Finchampstead fund to support the football club and to ensure kids football goes from strength to strength.
“Hopefully the weather is kind this year as we have an Easter Egg hunt planned for the children as well as a Bouncy Castle, Cake stall, BBQ & raffle. There will be an auction after the Markham cup in the bar with some really incredible prizes, not to be sniffed at.”
The Memorial Day, which was first held in 2018, will take place this year on Sunday 7th April at the Memorial Ground in Finchampstead.
The timings for the 2019 day are:
- 10:30am – Soccer School under 5s and under 6s
- 12:00pm – Mums vs Boys
- 14:00pm – Markham Cup between two sides of former players
This year there will be an auction after the game with prizes as follows:
- x2 Westlife tickets – donated by Kelly Barnby
- 90 minute sports party for up to 24 kids – donated by: NSS Sport
- Signed Wycombe shirt – donated by: Gareth Ainsworth
- x2 Chelsea tickets v either Spurs or West Ham – donated by: Ed Saliba
- x2 Man United tickets – donated by: Gary Drake
- x1 Adult and x1 child tickets to West Ham – donated by: Martin Sampson
The auction will take place in the bar after the Markham Cup. If you are unable to stay but still wish to have the opportunity, please submit your maximum bid to [email protected]