With only a few games remaining of an intruguing Thames Valley Premier League season we at Football in Berkshire thought we’d take a look at where the title may be heading. The three main sides in with a title shout are Finchampstead, Berks County and Burghfield.
Finchampstead – Played 21 – Points 49
Finch are currently in the driving seat having four more points than second-placed Berks County and a game in hand on them as well as Burghfield. Their run-in appears easier to their title rivals and they’ve already played Berks County and Burghfield twice so won’t have to worry about dropping points against their main competitors.
- Saturday 5th June – Richings Park (H)
- Monday 7th June – Marlow United (A)
- Saturday 12th June – Mortimer (A)
- Saturday 19th June – Richings Park (A)
- Saturday 26th June – Windlesham & Chobham (H)
Berks County – Played 23 – Points 46
Berks County’s promotion to Step 6 is not dependent on winning the Thames Valley Premier League, however we’re sure they’d love to go out on a high at Step 7. The Swords fixture list is far busier over the next couple of weeks with their last fixture being 10 days before either Burghfield or Finchampstead. This should allow Berks County to have a couple of weeks rest before their Combined Counties pre-season training begins at the start of July. Only one of the Swords’ remaining fixtures is at ‘home’ – their tie against Richings Park, which will take place at Larges Lane on the evening of Monday 7th June.
- Saturday 5th June – Maidenhead Town (A)
- Monday 7th June – Richings Park (H)
- Saturday 12th June – Marlow United (A)
- Wednesday 16th June – Wraysbury (A)
Burghfield – Played 22 – Points 44
All four of Burghfield’s remaining four games will take place at their Burghfield Rec ground. They’ve had a really consistent season and will be disappointed to have lost at home to Berks County on Saturday. They will almost certainly have to win all four matches to stand any chance of stealing the title, but they are more than capable of doing so.
- Saturday 5th June – Cookham Dean (H)
- Saturday 12th June – Maidenhead Town (H)
- Saturday 19th June – Newbury (H)
- Saturday 26th June – Marlow United (H)