I have a weird affinity for the Uhlsport Hellenic League Floodlit Cup. I can’t really explain it.
Of all the Hellenic League Cups that there are, the Floodlit Cup is my favourite. It’s possibly a bias based on the number of Berkshire sides who’ve won it in recent years including Binfield, Ascot United and Holyport.
It could also be the atmosphere of a midweek cup tie, albeit looking at attendances, with limited supporters watching on. I don’t know.
Last season’s final between Binfield and FA Vase winners Thatcham Town saw the underdog Moles defeat the Hellenic League champions at Stag Meadow and thus we’ve kept a beady eye on the 2018/19 edition.
Ascot, Binfield and Windsor are all Quarter Finalists but ahead of the draw for the last eight, here’s who’s in contention:
- Ascot United – beat Langley 5-0
- Binfield – beat Brimscombe & Thrupp 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw in extra time
- Flackwell Heath – beat Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-2 after extra time
- Windsor – beat Lydney Town 3-1
Yet to play in the Third Round:
- Holyport vs Thame Rangers – scheduled for 19th February
- Didcot Town Development vs Malmesbury Victoria – scheduled for 12th February
- Brackley Town Saints vs Thornbury Town
- Wantage Town OR Almondsbury vs Ardley United
To receive one WhatsApp message a day with the main headlines, as well as breaking news alerts, text FIB to 07739 468202. Your phone number won't be shared with other members of the group. More info here.