FA Cup: Bracknell Town advance, Binfield fall at first hurdle




There was joy for Bracknell Town this afternoon and despair for Binfield as the East Berkshire neighbours competed in the Extra Preliminary Round of the 2016/17 Emirates FA Cup.

Bracknell twice came from behind at Thatcham Town in Saturday afternoon’s fixtures while Binfield couldn’t capitalise on a great opening and were ultimately unable to overturn a 1-0 half time lead.

Jordan Seward gave Thatcham the lead in the opening half an hour before Khalid Senussi equalised for Bracknell after unselfish play from Adam Cornell on 56 minutes.

Former Bracknell striker Shane Cooper-Clark came back to haunt his old side 10 minutes later, scoring from the spot after Callum Whitty gave away the penalty – the Robins once again equalised though, this time ten minutes from full time when substitute Kennie Chamberlain beat two men to fire home.

With the replay looking most likely, Robins forward and last seasons top scorer Adam Cornell kept on going and from the left hand side managed to beat the goalkeeper to send Bracknell in to the Preliminary Round.

Kennie Chamberlain scores for Bracknell Town. Photo: Mark Pugh.
Kennie Chamberlain scores for Bracknell Town. Photo: Mark Pugh.

At Binfield, it was disappointment for Roger Herridge’s side who started dominantly but were unable to convert that into chances as North Greenford United advanced 1-0.

The only goal of the game came on 32 minutes when centre-back Nathan Munroe looped a header across Garry Aulsberry’s goal to give North Greenford the lead.

The Moles were always on the back foot after that, Jake White had a great chance from right-back racing through before being substituted with a hamstring injury and Liam Ferdinand was unable to beat the goalkeeper in a tight one on one.

James Knight ran the show in the midfield for 20 minutes of the second half but ultimately the lively Luke Scope, Ferdinand and the unusually quiet Jean-Claude Etienne were unable to make the most of what was effectively a second half dominance.

Elsewhere Highmoor-IBIS beat Carterton 2-1 but Windsor were beaten 3-2 at Bedfont Sports.

On Friday night, Ascot United advanced themselves thanks to a 2-0 win over Milton United. You can read Darrell Freeland’s report here.
Main image: Adam Cornell by Mark Pugh.

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

3 thoughts on “FA Cup: Bracknell Town advance, Binfield fall at first hurdle”

  1. Pingback: Thatcham Town 2 Bracknell Town 3: Cornell wins five goal FA Cup thriller - Football in Bracknell

  2. Pingback: 3 things to expect as Binfield FC host Lydney Town at Hill Farm Lane - Football in Bracknell

  3. Pingback: Here's the 2016/17 Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round draw in Berkshire - Football in Bracknell

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox
Search Football in Berkshire