Photo of AFC Aldermaston vs Sandhurst Town. Photo via @craigdabbs1 on twitter.
Photo of AFC Aldermaston vs Sandhurst Town. Photo via @craigdabbs1 on twitter.

Div 1 East: Last gasp agony for Finchampstead FC and first win for AFC Aldermaston

Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Photo of AFC Aldermaston vs Sandhurst Town. Photo via @craigdabbs1 on twitter.
Photo of AFC Aldermaston vs Sandhurst Town. Photo via @craigdabbs1 on twitter.

Get the LATEST NEWS direct to your inbox. Pop your email in the box.

AFC Aldermaston won their first ever match in the Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 East as two late Kai Parton-Edey goals saw them to a 3-1 victory over fellow newcomers Sandhurst Town.

A very early Lee Wheeler penalty after Pete Wareing had been clipped saw them lead at the interval before Sandhurst equalised in the eightieth minute.

Substitute Parton-Edey moved his side ahead slotting into an empty net form a Conor Creegan run before he made sure of the victory firing under the goalkeeper from a one on one run.

Wokingham & Emmbrook earned their first win seeing off hosts Chinnor.

Jake Wheeler found Craig Haylett who rounded the keeper to open the scoring before he struck again as he turned sharply and drove the ball home.

Assistant manager Darren Thorne headed in a rebound on eighty minutes but Mark Jones with a deflected strike reduced arrears but it was the Sumas who hung on to win 3-1.

Wokingham & Emmbrook's Darren Thorne.
Wokingham & Emmbrook’s Darren Thorne.

There was also a first victory for Woodley United who proved far too strong for Rayners Lane easily defeating the Middlesex side 4-0.

Charlie Oakley fired them ahead from six yards after meeting Greg Beckett’s left sided cross and Beckett himself doubled the lead on 47 minutes as he found space on the left edge of the box before firing into the far right corner.

Beckett fired a penalty into the left corner after Oakley had been fouled with Shane Gilsenan unable to keep it out despite getting a hand to it.

The scoring was completed with twenty minutes remaining when the greatly named Teddy Thomas fed Josh Drew who smashed the ball home.

Finchampstead suffered their second successive loss in an action packed game.

It started brightly for the visitors when Chase Jewell scored in the ninth minute but Wasps created chances too with Matt Wright twice heading off his own line.

Finchampstead FC's Matt Wright. Photo:
Finchampstead FC’s Matt Wright. Photo:

Kieran Webb’s diving header from Connor Cumber’s great ball drew Chalfont level and they nearly moved ahead only for a third Wright header off the line.

When Ryan Sweales free-kick was not cleared in the 83rd minute, the aptly named Dan Finch shot home from fifteen yards to secure the victory against err ‘Finch’.

It could have and should have been a well-earned point for Jon Laugharne’s side with the award of a stoppage time penalty but it was a chance missed as the spot kick was saved.

The full Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 East results from today:

AFC Aldermaston 3 – 1 Sandhurst Town
Chalfont Wasps 2 – 1 Finchampstead
Chinnor 1 – 3 Wokingham & Emmbrook
Didcot Town Reserves 1 – 2 Penn & Tylers Green
Headington Amateurs 7 – 1 Wantage Town Reserves
Holyport 1 – 2 Bicester Town
Rayners Lane 0 – 4 Woodley United

Main image: Action from AFC Aldermaston vs Sandhurst Town. Photo via @craigdabbs1 on twitter.

Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:

What do you think? 

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox
Search Football in Berkshire