Midweek: Binfield FC’s unbeaten run ended and Bracknell Town FC hold on



Bracknell Town forward Adam Cornell. Photo: Neil Graham.


Binfield’s 100% start to the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League season ended last night as Ascot United twice came from behind in the local derby at the Racecourse Ground.

The visitors started brightly with both Luke Scope and Liam Ferdinand going close before Moles new signing Sean Moore opened the scoring after nine minutes.

Ascot’s James Brazier levelled matters after Samir Regragui’s free-kick had been flicked on for his third goal of the season and from central defence too.

It looked like the teams would enter the break level but Ferdinand had other ideas getting on the end of Scope’s cross.

Charlie Samuels was introduced by Jeff Lamb at half time and it paid immediate dividends when he equalised on 47 minutes firing in from distance.

The winning goal saw a swift counter-attack after Binfield had an attacking free-kick as the Yellamen sprung up the other end and Ben Knight controlled the ball before finishing well in the 75th minute.

Ferdinand had a couple of chances to claim a point but could not beat Carl Dennison for a second time as Ascot hung on to seal the points and claim the local bragging rights.

10-man Bracknell Town ended a 100% record themselves as they travelled to Thame United for a 3-3 draw.

Adam Cornell opened the scoring in the 28th minute. Khalid Senussi found Joe Grant who broke down the left before delivering a pinpoint cross for Cornell to head in.

The lead lasted only four minutes as Thame sent in a low cross which was met by Luke Ricketts at the far post and he drilled his shot in via the right post.

With 38 minutes played the visitors were reduced to ten men when left-back Johnny Gray rightly saw red for a high and out of control lunge at Ben Connolly but less than a minute later Grant had put the Robins ahead as he raced in to score after being played in by Cornell.

In the 55th minute the lead was extended further as Cornell moved along the edge of the penalty area, found an opening for a shot and fired into the right hand corner.

A controversial goal for United saw them reduce arrears three minutes later. Andrew Gledhill clearly shoved Robins skipper Carl Davies to the floor before firing in but somehow the referee allowed the goal to stand.

Buoyed by this goal and with the numerical advantage, the home side continued to press and Gledhill met a bouncing cross with fifteen minutes remaining to equalise as Bracknell’s defence battled hard but could not keep Thame at bay.

It could have been worse but goalkeeper Chris Grace made some fantastic saves at the death twice denying Lynton Goss from point blank range before claiming substitute Asher Yearwood’s shot in the sixth minute of stoppage time.

Plenty of positives for manager Mark Tallentire tonight with Cornell and Grant looking a very good strike pairing and his side were the better team eleven against eleven.

There was plenty of drama elsewhere with Thatcham Town doing their goal difference no harm with an 11-0 thrashing of Burnham with former Bracknell Town striker Shane Cooper-Clark scoring four and Callum Willoth scoring three.

A twenty minute hat-trick for Cooper-Clark in the first half was overshadowed when Willmoth then struck a fourteen minute first period treble.

Cooper-Clark made it seven goals with his fourth before Kylon Lewis, Aaron Parfitt and Mark Hughes made it double figures and there was still time for Lewis to notch his second and complete the scoring in the 87th minute.

It really has been a baptism of fire for relegated Burnham who continue to struggle. They can take heart in the fact that both Bracknell and Thatcham fell from step four but with time both sides have regrouped and are once again moving forward.

Henley Town like Burnham and Highworth Town are still without a point but they came oh so near as they recovered from two goals down at the interval to level matters only for a wonderful solo goal in the fourth minute of injury time gave Oxford City Nomads a 3-2 victory.

Tuffley Rovers took the spoils in an Gloucestershire affair defeating their guests Lydney Town 5-2 which moved them into fourth place.

It’s a remarkable turnaround from last season when Rovers finished in the relegation places and relied upon a reprieve to remain in the Premier Division.

Finally, there are worrying times at Carterton who were unable to raise a side for the second match running, this time for the trip to Ardley United.

All the results from Tuesday night in the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League:

Ascot United 3 – 2 Binfield
Burnham 0 – 11 Thatcham Town
Oxford City Nomads 3 – 2 Henley Town
Thame United 3 – 3 Bracknell Town
Tuffley Rovers 5 – 2 Lydney Town

See the latest Hellenic Premier League table here.

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire