Report: Bracknell Town and Flackwell Heath share the spoils in Hellenic Premier




Second placed Bracknell Town hosted league leaders Flackwell Heath and both sides had to settle for a point apiece following a 1-1 draw in front of an excellent crowd of 362.

George Short’s 69th minute header appeared to have earned the Robins victory before Joel Jacobs – who this week re-joined the Heathens from Thatcham Town – got his free kick over the wall and into the near corner with only three minutes remaining.

Thame United took advantage of the result here as they beat Highmoor Ibis 3-0 and leapfrogged both sides to go top once again.

Mark Tallentire will maybe feel slightly disappointed as the home side fashioned numerous chances – about three times as many as Flackwell during the match in fact – but neither side could find a breakthrough in the first half.

Adam Cornell misses for Bracknell Town. Photo: Neil Graham.
Adam Cornell misses for Bracknell Town. Photo: Neil Graham.

TJ Bohane fired at goalkeeper Dan Weait whilst Adam Cornell narrowly missed the target twice, Jamie McClurg curled wide from 21 yards and substitute Kensley Maloney could beat Weait.

Related: Round up of all the local football action

For the visitors, Dan Burnell twice fired at Chris Grace who never looked like getting beaten.

Half Time: ​​Bracknell Town 0 – 0 Flackwell Heath

The second period was more lively with plenty of chances this half. Bowerman shot wide right whilst Maloney – who caused problems – showed good skill but Weait held his effort.

A rare Flackwell foray saw Burnell race in but he was flagged offside before his strike partner Adam Dickens met Liam Tack’s flicked header but new Robins signing Diak John threw himself in front of the ball.

Bohane looked to shoot wherever he could and he had an effort parried for a corner before he flashed an acute drive into the near side netting.

In the 69th minute, Bohane lifted the ball towards the six yard box and George Short was on hand to head into the far right corner and send the large crowd delirious.

The home side pushed for a killer second goal with Weait parrying Bohane’s shot with the keeper then denying Dave Hancock following a corner.

Maloney and Bohane both had chances – albeit not easy ones – but they couldn’t score and Heath duly levelled from an 87th minute free-kick.

Joel Jacobs celebrates for Flackwell Heath. Photo: Neil Graham.
Joel Jacobs celebrates for Flackwell Heath. Photo: Neil Graham.

The decision to penalise Maloney and award the free-kick looked harsh but Jacobs showed no mercy as he got the ball up and over the wall before it nestled inside the near right hand post. Question marks can possibly be asked about the wall failing to jump but it was a good free-kick.

Maloney, Bohane and Burnell all had chances to win it for either team but it was not to be and both sides had to settle for a point.

Bracknell now travel to Binfield on Monday evening knowing victory over their local rivals will see them jump from third place and sit back on top of the pile.

Full Time: ​​Bracknell Town 1 – 1 Flackwell Heath

Bracknell Town: Grace, Hancock, Gray, Short (Chamberlain 85), John, D Smith, Grant (Maloney 40), McClurg, Cornell (Withers 74), Bohane, Bowerman. Subs not used: Whitty, Rodrigues.

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox
Search Football in Berkshire