Report: Dominant Bracknell Town easily defeat Hellenic League leaders Highworth Town




With two of the three teams in with a realistic chance of winning the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division title meeting each other you would be forgiven for expecting a tight affair but Bracknell Town simply blew the leaders Highworth Town away witnessed by a crowd of 390.

It may only have finished 2-0 but the Robins created numerous chances and also hit the woodwork three times whilst the Worthians could only muster a single shot in each half and aside from their first half effort which was ruled out for offside, never looked like troubling goalkeeper Chris Grace.

Talking of goalkeepers, the hosts were handed a dream start when Seb Bowerman’s low, skidded effort couldn’t be held by Garry Aulsberry although the visiting keeper did make a string of saves afterwards.

It was almost two goals in the fifteenth minutes when Joe Grant did well to find Bowerman who lashed against the crossbar before Highworth had the ball in the back of the net but the Robins were relieved to see it ruled out for offside. Grace was not shy in letting his defence know that he was unhappy with the defending.

On 25 minutes the lead was doubled by the excellent Kensley Maloney who held off an opponent and blasted the ball into the near left hand corner.

Kensley Maloney scores for Bracknell Town. Photo: Richard Claypole.
Kensley Maloney scores for Bracknell Town. Photo: Richard Claypole.

Aulsberry tipped two effort over before the crossbar  was struck for a second time when Grant smashed it from an acute angle only to see the ball crash back off the bar.

Highworth needed a good start to the second period but it was TJ Bohane for the home side who nearly scored ten minutes in when his deflected shot looped over Aulsberry and hit the right hand post.

Substitute Darren Wheeler’s free-kick was marginally over before he took a corner which was met by captain Carl Davies unmarked at the far post but his header was off target.

With nine minutes remaining, the Wiltshire side had their only second half shot via a free-kick which sailed over the wall but more importantly over Grace’s crossbar and the Robins held on to a very important and much easier than expected win.

Disaster for Highworth at the final whistle as the long time leaders who looked unstoppable earlier this season can now only get 91 points whilst both Bracknell and Thatcham can finish on 98 points.

It very much looks as though the title race will be between the Robins and FA Vase finalists Thatcham.

Good read? Share this story:

Have you listened to our podcast?

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire

Drop your email address below to subscribe to the Football in Berkshire newsletter.