Step 6 midweek review: Eversley & California beaten at Ash

Cameron Miller scoring for Eversley & California FC. Photo: Richard Milam.



Cameron Miller scoring for Eversley & California FC. Photo: Richard Milam.


On Tuesday night Eversley & California travelled to Surrey to face Ash United in league action. The Boars started well and had their hosts on the back foot, but against the run of play Ash took the lead on 25 minutes through a pacey counter attack.

The home side were lifted by the goal and looked dangerous for the rest of the half. Eversley came out strongly after half time, in search for an equaliser, but again Ash were able to break away and force a corner, from which they were able to double their lead.

The Boars were handed a lifeline in the 81st minute when a bad challenge led to the hosts being reduced to 10 men. From the resulting free kick Marcus Guest turned the ball in to make the score 2-1. On 85 minutes, with all the pressure coming from the visitors, Ash were able to break downfield and add a third goal to secure the win.

In the Hellenic League Division One East AFC Aldermaston looked to extend their lead at the top of the table when they made the trip to Burnham. The home side flew out of the blocks and raced into a two-goal lead in 10 minutes, and further extended their advantage from the spot on 35 minutes.

Aldermaston grabbed a goal back before half time with a penalty of their own, converted by Devonn Reid. In the second half the Blues restored their three-goal lead before Philip John got a goal back for the Atom Men.

However, Burnham were not done, and Lucas Sinclair grabbed his third and his team’s fifth goal of the evening. There was still time for Devontae Romeo to get another for Aldermaston, but it was nothing more than a conciliation. Despite the defeat the Atom Men remain top of the league heading into the weekend.

Ben Broadhurst playing for Wokingham & Emmbrook.
Ben Broadhurst playing for Wokingham & Emmbrook.

Also in Division One East action, Wokingham & Emmbrook and Chalvey Sports shared six goals at Larges Lane. The Sumas took the lead when a Ben Broadhurst free kick was turned in at the near post by Jake White.

White then doubled his tally in spectacular fashion when he struck a shot into the top corner from 25 yards. Before half time Wokingham were reduced to 10 men as Broadhurst was shown a straight red for a high boot. In the second half Chalvey were on top and got themselves back into the game with two goals before the hour mark.

Despite being a man down the Sumas took the lead once more when a George Marsh back heel set up Joshua Harris finish in the far corner. Before the final whistle the Stabmonks would equalise once more to leave the final score 3-3.

Away from league action, Wallingford Town travelled to face Risborough Rangers Reserves in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup. A late goal from Charlie Silkstone earned Wally a 1-1 draw but it was not enough as Risborough won the resulting penalty shoot-out 4-3 and progressed into the draw for the next round.

Combined Counties Division One

  • Ash United 3-1 Eversley & California

Hellenic League Division One East

  • Burnham 5-3 AFC Aldermaston
  • Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-3 Chalvey Sports

Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup

  • Risborough Rangers Reserves 1-1 Wallingford Town (Risborough win 4-3 on penalties)


Good read? Share this story:

Have you listened to our podcast?

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire

Drop your email address below to subscribe to the Football in Berkshire newsletter.