Step 6 review: Wokingham & Emmbrook and Holyport progress in the Challenge Cup

Connor Holland. Photo: Graham Tabor.



Connor Holland. Photo: Graham Tabor.


In the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup Wokingham & Emmbrook welcomed New College Swindon of the Hellenic League Division One West to Larges Lane. The Sumas started well, and despite the College having some neat spells of possession, the home side were creating the best chances.

One of those chances was eventually taken when Conner Holland put a great cross into the box and captain Sam Lawrence met it with a powerful header to make it 1-0, with 10 minutes to go to half time. The visitors came out in the second half with renewed purpose and grabbed an equaliser after a flowing move.

They were not level for long however, as a nice move saw Lawrence play the ball in behind for Holland, who squared for the onrushing George Marsh to score. On 70 minutes the Sumas further extended their lead when substitute Ellis Day scored by lobbing the visiting keeper to make it 3-1.

Wokingham were well on top now and they sealed victory in spectacular style when Lawrence grabbed his second of the match with a 30-yard strike into the top corner.

Feaver fires Holyport through

Jonny Feaver. Photo: Holyport FC
Jonny Feaver. Photo: Holyport FC

The other local Step 6 side in the Challenge Cup, Holyport, found themselves 1-0 down inside 4 minutes in their tie against Didcot Town Development. Port were not behind for long as three minutes later Jonny Feaver scored to continue his fine form in front of goal this season. The striker was not done there, and he grabbed his second of the game from the penalty spot after Alan Ackerman was fouled in the box.

The goal was Feaver’s fourth in two games against Didcot Town Development this season. In the second half the game continued at a good tempo, but it took until the 83rd minute for another goal to be scored when Ackerman extend Holyport’s lead, heading home a Fabian Driffill cross. There was still time for Didcot to reduce the deficit with a good volley, but they could not find an equaliser, and the Villagers progress to the next round.

Oakley double for Fizzers

In the Combined Counties League Division One Sandhurst Town left it late to rescue a point against Kensington Borough. The Fizzers were trailing 3-1 in the 89th minute but scored two late goals to leave Leatherhead with a point. Charlie Oakley scored twice, and a home side own goal gave Sandhurst a draw in an entertaining game.

Marcus Guest scores for Eversley & California. Photo: Richard Milam.
Marcus Guest scores for Eversley & California. Photo: Richard Milam.

At the ESA Ground, Eversley & California hosted the league leaders Farnham Town. After an even first half ended goalless, Farnham took the lead when a corner led to a goalmouth scramble and the ball was bundled in. The Boars got themselves back into the game 10 minutes later when Marcus Guest headed in a home side corner to equalise. However, Farnham got the winner on 80 minutes to leave Eversley with no points despite a competitive performance.

Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup

  • Holypot 3-2 Didcot Town Development
  • Wokingham & Emmbrook 4-1 New College Swindon

Combined Counties League Division One

  • Eversley & California 1-2 Farnham Town
  • Kensington Borough 3-3 Sandhurst Town


Good read? Share this story:

Have you listened to our podcast?

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire

Drop your email address below to subscribe to the Football in Berkshire newsletter.