Wantage Town’s 2-0 win over Windsor on Saturday, by no means a formality after the Royalists shocked Brackley Town Saints in midweek has thrown the Freds right in to the Hellenic League Premier Division title race.
Ben Sadler’s side are level on points and games played with the Saints, but have a superior goal difference over their Northamptonshire rivals of +12.
Jack Dunmall scored in the first minute of Saturday’s fixture while Daniel Sadler arguably made it safe on 48 minutes.
Saints themselves and current leaders Brimscombe & Thrupp were without a game on Saturday so there was opportunity for Ascot United to close the gap on the sides above them.
The Yellamen, along with Royal Wootton Bassett Town have played the most fixtures of the sides in the top six, four more than Wantage and Brackley but were unable to take advantage, beaten 3-1 by Marcus Richardson’s Flackwell Heath.
Top six in the Hellenic Premier as it stands:
- Brimscombe & Thrupp PL 26 GD 19 PTS 52
- Wantage Town PL 24 GD 33 PTS 51
- Brackley Town Saints PL 24 GD 21 PTS 51
- Ascot United PL 28 GD 25 PTS 50
- Bishops Cleeve PL 24 GD 23 PTS 48
- Royal Wootton Bassett Town PL 28 GD 0 PTS 39
At the opposite end of the table, Tuffley Rovers (inside what we’ll loosely term the ‘relegation zone’) 2-0 win at Reading City gave the Gloucestershire side a first win since they beat Bourton Rovers in the Supplementary Cup at the start of December and closed the gap on City above them to five points with a game in hand.
And bottom of the table Longlevens gave themselves a chance of escaping the drop with a 3-0 win at second bottom Abingdon United, closing the gap to just two points with games in hand over the sides around them.
Saturday’s Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division results
- Abingdon United 0 – 3 Longlevens
- Ascot United 1 – 3 Flackwell Heath
- Binfield 1 – 1 Lydney Town
- Reading City 0 – 2 Tuffley Rovers
- Virginia Water 0 – 1 Shrivenham
- Wantage Town 2 – 0 Windsor