Holyport progress in the Hellenic League Subsidiary Cup




On Saturday afternoon Holyport became the first team into the hat for the semi final draw of the Subsidiary Cup when they defeated Hellenic Division One West side Cirencester Town Development at Summerleaze Village.

It took just three minutes for Port to take the lead when Jamie Hanscombe latched onto a through ball and slotted home, but Cirencester were level 25 minutes later in unusual circumstances when a weak volley from outside the box evaded everyone and found the back of the net.

In the second half Port’s top goal scorer Fabian Driffill put them back in the lead with a curling effort on 65 minutes for his 24th goal of the season. Holyport closed out the game and secured a 2-1 win that sees them progress to the next round.

Sandhurst Town manager Michael Herbert. Photo: Andy Ormerod.
Sandhurst Town manager Michael Herbert. Photo: Andy Ormerod.

In the Combined Counties Division One Sandhurst Town recorded a thumping victory in game at Dorking Wanderers Reserves. The Fizzers were 1-0 up at half time thanks to a solo effort from full-back Bobby Mitchell who ran in from his own half to score 10 minutes before the break.

Just after an hour mark a quick-fire double put Sandhurst firmly in control. First Paul Rake headed in off the under side of the bar from a Jordan Goddard corner to make it 2-0, before Mitchell got his second of the game with a shot from 25 yards going into the bottom corner.

15 minutes from time Luke Burrows completed the scoring and the Fizzers closed out the game to leave the final score 4-0.

Eversley & California could do nothing to ease their relegation fears as they lost at promotion hopefuls Farnham Town.

The Boars found themselves 2-0 down, with the second coming on the stroke of half time. Ross McKernan scored from a free kick with 15 minutes to go to reduce the deficit and set up a tense finish, but it was not to be as Farnham added a third goal 5 minutes from time to make sure of the points.

Ross McKernan Celebrating his goal with Kaine McCuley. Photo: Richard Milam.
Ross McKernan Celebrating his goal with Kaine McCuley. Photo: Richard Milam.

There was a seven-goal thriller at the Hithercroft as Wallingford Town took on Chinnor in the Hellenic Division One East. Luis Le Paih gave Wally an early lead before Chinnor equalised with half an hour gone, but two goals in two minutes, one from Luke Williams and a second for Le Paih, put Wallingford 3-1 up at the break.

In the second half Chinnor were able to draw level before Charlie Silkstone had the final say with a strike on 73 minutes that gave Wallingford a win that sees them climb to 5th in the table.

Combined Counties Division One

Dorking Wanderers Reserves 0-4 Sandhurst Town
Farnham Town 3-1 Eversley & California

Hellenic Division One East

Wallingford Town 4-3 Chinnor

Hellenic League Division One Subsidiary Cup

Holyport 2-1 Cirencester Town Development


Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox
Search Football in Berkshire