Newbury lift Thames Valley Premier League Division One title

Newbury FC badge.



Newbury FC badge.


Newbury were crowned champions of the Thames Valley Premier League One after drawing 2-2 away to Hurst FC. Russell Benham and Dan Donegan on the scoresheet for ‘The Town’.

It’s been a fantastic season for Newbury on the pitch who have gained promotion with still 4 games still left to play. The club can look forward to playing in a higher league next season with home games to be played at Henwick Lane in Thatcham, a huge upgrade from the facilities they’ve been used to this season at Brimpton.

Slough Town beat Hungerford Town 2-1 at Bulpit Lane in front of a decent crowd of 408. The Rebels were quick out of the blocks when taking the lead on 2 minutes via a Mark Nisbet effort.

Hungerford Town centre back Marvel Ekpiteta, who recently won National League South ‘Player of The Month’ turned the ball into his own net to put Slough 2-0 in front on 32 mins. Danilo Orsi-Dadamo gave The Crusaders hope when reducing the lead on 68 minutes before Guy Hollis picked up his second yellow card for Slough Town.

Guy Hollis. Photo: Get Surrey.
Guy Hollis. Photo: Get Surrey.

Hungerford pushed for an equaliser against the ten men but the visitors held on to take the 3 points, ending Hungerford’s five game unbeaten run.

With four league games remaining Hungerford are one point above Truro City after their game versus Concord Rangers was abandoned in controversial fashion following an arm injury to a Truro City player. Concord Rangers were winning 1-0 at the time of the abandonment.

Related: What every Berkshire side has left to play for this season

Thatcham Town couldn’t build on their impressive run as they went down 2–1 at home to Mangotsfield United.

The Kingfishers felt aggrieved not to be awarded a penalty early in the game when a Mangotsfield player looked to have handled the ball in his own area.

Kyle Tooze. Photo: Thatcham Photographic Club.
Kyle Tooze. Photo: Thatcham Photographic Club.

A goal from full back Matt Tanner put the visitors in front before James Ollis doubled the lead in the 50th minute. Substitute Adam Kelly pulled Thatcham back into the game when finishing a cross from Kyle Tooze on 72 minutes.

Thatcham won a series of late corners but the Mangotsfield Town defence stood up to the challenge to see them over the line and pick up a valuable win.

This week (Tuesday 9th April 7:30 ko) Thatcham Town travel to neighbours Hungerford Town for a friendly where supporters are offered ‘pay what you want’ for entrance.


Good read? Share this story:

Have you listened to our podcast?

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire

Drop your email address below to subscribe to the Football in Berkshire newsletter.