Sandhurst Town's Sam Green. Photo: Andrew Ormerod.
Sandhurst Town's Sam Green. Photo: Andrew Ormerod.

Sandhurst Town secure sixth place and Hellenic League Division One East wraps up

Fizzers can still finish fifth in Combined Counties League Division One
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Sandhurst Town's Sam Green. Photo: Andrew Ormerod.
Sandhurst Town's Sam Green. Photo: Andrew Ormerod.

Get the LATEST NEWS direct to your inbox. Pop your email in the box.

On Saturday Sandhurst Town travelled to Epsom & Ewell for their penultimate game of the season. The Fizzers started the day two points above their hosts in the table and knew that a victory would guarantee a top six finish in their first season back in the Combined Counties Division One.

Midway through the first half Sandhurst took the lead when a cross field ball was controlled and squared by Grant Kemp, for Ashley Ledger to tap in. 5 minutes later it was 2-0 as Ledger turned provider, crossing for Paddy Gardner to head home.

5 minutes before half time the Fizzers made the game safe when a Matt Watson goal kick made it all the way through for Gardner to lift it over the Epsom keeper for 3-0. In the second half Epsom grabbed a goal back but could not reduce the deficit further leaving the final score 3-1.

Having already secured 6th spot Sandhurst can still finish in 5th, but it would mean winning away at 4th placed Tooting Bec, while hoping Bedfont & Feltham slip up in their final game of the season next weekend.

The last fixtures in the Hellenic Division One East took place over the weekend with final positions and potential places in next season’s FA Cup to play for. AFC Aldermaston travelled to 2nd place Thame Rangers needing a point to confirm a 3rd place finish.

A Jamel Forde-Small strike shortly after the half hour mark gave the Atomics a 1-0 lead going into half time but shortly after the break Thame equalised and the game finished 1-1. The result means Aldermaston have finished 3rd in the league and still have Reading Senior Cup final to look forward to.

Dan Rapley. Photo: Richard Tyrell.
Dan Rapley. Photo: Richard Tyrell.

The draw for Aldermaston meant Holyport could only finish
4th but they showed no signs of complacency as they won at bottom side Chinnor. It took just 4 minutes for Port to take the lead when an Alfie Adams shot was saved but Daniel Rapley was on hand to turn in the rebound.

10 minutes later it was 2-0 when a loose ball fell to Fabian Driffill who cut inside to score his 33rd of the season. On the stroke of half time a Josh Lowther cross was met on the volley by Rapley for his second of the game, giving Port a 3-0 lead at the break. In the second half Chinnor were able to grab a goal back and reduce the deficit, but Holyport responded straight away when Rapley, rounded out the scoring, completed his hat-trick and restored the three-goal lead to leave the final score 4-1.

Wallingford Town finished their season with a win, taking all three points from their trip to Milton United. A Rio Burgdyne goal after 10 minutes was enough to secure the points for Wally and see them finish in 7th place in the table. Wallingford also have the Supplementary Cup final to look forward to, where they face Thornbury Town.

Combined Counties League Division One

Epsom & Ewell 1-3 Sandhurst Town

Hellenic Division One East

Chinnor 1-4 Holyport
Milton United 0-1 Wallingford Town
Thame Rangers 1-1 AFC Aldermaston



Two years ago Football in Berkshire was shortlisted for a Football Content Award, we didn’t win but the awards are BACK and we need your support to try and go one step further! All you have to do is nominate us via Twitter or Instagram and you can do that by clicking here.

Club Noticeboard

Want to post your club news? Click here to sign up

What do you think? 

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox