Bracknell Town & District Sunday League action returned on Sunday morning after the Christmas break giving teams the chance to blow off the cobwebs and stake their claims for honours in what is the start of the second half of the season.
In the Premier Division leaders Crowthorne Inn made a clear statement that, following runners-up finishes in the last two seasons, they mean to make it third time lucky this time round with an impressive 4-2 win against third placed FC Fernhill. Bracknell Rangers maintained their own challenge and stay 2nd with a 5-0 win against Panthers through goals by Ryan Martin (2), Ollie Noyes (2) and George Lock. In the game at the bottom of the Division Morale Madrid edged out Loveman United 4-3 whilst the other game played between Raglan and Berks County finished all-square at 2-2.
For all the latest from Football in Berkshire’s Bracknell Sunday League coverage make sure you us on twitter @bracknellsunday and join the BT&DSL facebook page here. You can also head over to our dedicated section on the website here.
Berkshire Football Awards supported by PlaySport.
The days highest-scoring game came in Division 1 as Sandhurst FFC and Athletico Ascot served up a 13-goal thriller that saw Ascot winning by 8-5. Elsewhere leaders Woodley Saints defeated Bracknell Athletic 5-1 to stay top, leading Athletico Ascot in second by 3 points. Wokingham & Emmbrook TMW moved into third position with a 6-3 win away to Crowthorne. In the division’s other game Athletico Forest edged out Woodley United by 3-2.
Neither of the top two in Division 2, Bearwood Wanderers and Winnersh Rangers, played due to postponement. William Twigg took full advantage with a 4-2 win against Bracknell Cavaliers. That win takes Twigg into third position above Bracknell Corinthians who could only manage a 2-2 draw with Newbold.
AFC Dukes strengthened their position at the top of Division 3 with a 6-2 win against Crowthorne A. Second placed Winnersh Town lost ground, losing out to FC Harmanswater by 1-2. Goals by Jack Steadman (2) and Daniel Merritt secured the points for Ashridge Park with a 3-0 win against Running Horse.
The five games played in Division 4 saw a whopping 36 goals scored. Top fixture resulted in a 3-3 draw between FC Showcase and Harts of Bracknell, Showcase equalising in the final minute of the game there. Elsewhere, goals by Jarman (2), Ratcliffe, Cowley-Ellis, McMullan and Gavin secured Finchampstead Athletic A a 6-1 win against Bracknell Titans, moving Finch into second position, whilst Bracknell Royals beat Bracknell Cavaliers by 7-3, moving them into fourth just 7 points behind the leaders with two games in hand.
Coming up next week:
- The top two in the Premier Division square up as Bracknell Rangers (2nd) host Crowthorne Inn (top)
- It’s the big Woodley derby in Division 1 as United play Saints (the game finished all-square last time out)
- Top billing in Division 4 sees Bracknell Royals (4th) visit Finchampstead Athletic A (2nd)
- FC Fernhill bid to reach the semi-final of the Berks & Bucks Sunday Intermediate Cup with a quarter-final home tie against FC Benton.
- The three BTDSFL Senior Cup quarter final ties will complete the line-up for this season’s competition with Morale Madrid/Berks County, Panthers/Sandhurst FFC and Loveman United/Finchampstead Athletic looking to join FC Fernhill for March’s semi-final ties