Sonny Wheeler in goal for Sandhurst Town. Photo: Andrew Batt.

Sandhurst endure night to forget at Chessington & Hook

Injuries, sin bins and a penalty and a sending off at Chalky Lane
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Sonny Wheeler in goal for Sandhurst Town. Photo: Andrew Batt.

Get the LATEST NEWS direct to your inbox. Pop your email in the box.

Sandhurst endured a tough evening in more than one sense in their game at Chessington & Hook on Tuesday night. The Fizzers had picked up three injuries in their defeat at Westside on Saturday which meant they were only able to name two substitutes for the match at Chalky Lane, and both of the replacements were called into action by the end of an eventful, but goalless first half.

Sandhurst had started well and created a few chances in the opening minutes but things started to go wrong midway through the first half when they lost their first player to injury following a heavy fall after going up for a header and things got worse moments later as they lost another player who had had his hand trodden on, and couldn’t continue.

In or out? Photo: Andrew Batt.

In the large amount of injury time at the end of the first half, Chessington thought they had taken the lead, but the Fizzers were convinced the ball was cleared off the line. The goal was initially given which led to a lot of protesting amongst the Sandhurst players for which their goalkeeper Sonny Wheeler was sent to the sin bin. The referee then consulted with his assistant and they ruled out the goal meaning the half ended after 56 minutes with the score at 0-0 and Sandhurst temporarily down to 10 men.

Early in the second-half Chessington broke through when a header from a corner was stopped on the line by a Sandhurst player who was adjudged to have used his hand. The Sandhurst player was sent off and the outfield player who was still in goal at this point was unable to save the resulting penalty.

Sandhurst Town manager Ben Nwachukwu. Photo: Andrew Batt.

Sandhurst kept battling and even had a couple of chances of their own, but Chessington were well on top and their pressure and the man advantage finally paid off with 10 minutes to go when they bundled in a second goal. That strike was closely followed by a third, a breakaway goal that did have a suspicion of offside about it. Once again, the Sandhurst players remonstrated with the referee and once again one was sent to the sin bin meaning the Fizzers had to finish the game with nine men.

Chessington added a fourth goal in injury time to round off a miserable night for Sandhurst.

Read the round up of Tuesday night’s Combined Counties League action here. The Division One league table is here.


Two years ago Football in Berkshire was shortlisted for a Football Content Award, we didn’t win but the awards are BACK and we need your support to try and go one step further! All you have to do is nominate us via Twitter or Instagram and you can do that by clicking here.

Club Noticeboard

Want to post your club news? Click here to sign up

What do you think? 

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

About the author

More stories

Get the latest Berkshire football news to your inbox