Late drama as Binfield and Windsor share eight goals




Sean Moore scored two very late goals, including the equaliser in stoppage time, as Binfield sensationally snatched a 4-4 draw with Windsor in an Uhlsport Hellenic League thriller on Friday night.

“We were grateful to get a point in the end, as we were not at our best,” admitted assistant-manager Carl Withers.

“But we gave it our all to right to the end and that desire, work rate and tenacity got us the draw, but on another day it could have gone against us.”

The stuttering Moles – whose performance was littered by too many uncharacteristic individual mistakes – were left reeling by a double strike from one of their former players, Danny Horscroft.

In front of a crowd of 289, the visitors deservedly took a 17th-minute lead through Sam Coles, who was left unmarked at the far post following Ben Mulley’s left-wing cross.

Binfield were unable to get in a shot at goal and it needed a free-kick from just outside the area by Ollie Harris to bring them level five minutes before half-time.

Danny HHorscroft. Photo: Neil Graham /

The hosts found themselves trailing again just before the hour mark with Horscroft scoring and in 65th minute the same player made it 3-1 by taking advantage of a slip by keeper Chris Grace.

Binfield cut the arrears in the 69th minute from a Harris penalty after substitute Joel Valentin had been brought down in the area.

Nine minutes later, Harris should have equalised when a long ball over the defence left the winger in the clear, but he hurried his shot and the ball flashed inches wide of the near post.
Binfield continued to press and nearly scored from a goalmouth scramble, only for Windsor to swiftly turn defence into attack with text-book counter-attack. They caught the home defence hopelessly out of position with Billy Montague taking advantage to make it 4-2 after 83 minutes.

Soon afterwards, the visitors squandered a golden opportunity to score again and make the game safe.

With the minutes ticking down and fans making an early exit, table-topping Binfield looked to be heading for their first league defeat of the season at the hands of their Berkshire rivals who had managed to win only one of their previous six league games.

‘He has a habit of pulling something special out of the hat’

Moles skipper Moore was having a quiet game by his own standards, not even managing to get in a shot at goal until the 73rd minute.

However, he has a habit of pulling something special out of the hat and he did just that in the 89th minute, smashing home a tremendous shot from close to 30 yards to set up a tense finish, the ball hitting the net before keeper Nojus Trinovas could move.

Trinovas was the main culprit as Windsor tried to waste time and they paid the penalty as Binfield dramatically equalised in the fourth and final minute of timed added on.

Moles won a corner on their left and Grace raced upfield to join a crowded goalmouth. Harris swung a perfect ball over and Moore showed real guts to get to it first, heading home into the right corner even though there were at least five Windsor players between him and the goal-line.

A totally-dejected Windsor side hardly time to restart the game when referee David Cox blew for time; they knew it was a game they should have won.

Related Topics
Football in Berkshire is a not for profit site run by volunteers. We feel though that sometimes people need rewarding for the hard work they put in and we wanted to let you know you can support our contributors individually if you so wish. Contributors to this article are as follows:
More Stories

More Stories

Our Supporters


Search Football in Berkshire