The innaugral Women’s Football Weekend is almost upon us and with it, brings FA WSL action to Berkshire and the Madejski Stadium.
The initiative runs across Saturday 16th November and Sunday 17th November during the men’s international break and picks up the baton from Octobers Non League Day which encouraged supporters of Premier League and SkyBet Championship clubs to get out and support their local team.
Reading FC Women are Berkshire’s senior women’s side, playing in the top-tier of English Women’s football and welcome Bristol City to the Madejski on Sunday (KO 2pm).
The Royals have a number of internationals in their side including the Lionesses record appearance maker Fara Williams as well as Jade Moore who was in Phil Neville’s 2019 World Cup squad and alongside Welsh internationals Natasha Harding, Angharad James and Rachel Rowe as well as Norway’s Amalie Eikeland.
Reading FC Women striker Lauren Bruton on the Berkshire Football Stories podcast
Episode eight of the Berkshire Football Stories podcast is out on Friday 15th November and features Lauren Bruton talking about the FA WSL2 title winning Reading side, her own career as well as answering a few listener questions. Subscribe and get the episode when it lands here.
It's #womensfootballweekend and @ReadingFCWomen face @bristolcitywfc at the Madejski Stadium. We went to see Royals striker Lauren Bruton who told us to be there (so we will)! Details and more fixtures: https://t.co/uwdX2JkBAB pic.twitter.com/eVKXgXRMKT— Football in Berkshire 🏡 (@fiberkshire) November 13, 2019
What else is happening over the weekend?
As well as the top tier fixture, there are plenty of additional women’s matches at different levels of the pyramid, in particular across the Southern Region Women’s Football League and Thames Valley Counties Women’s Football League. Here’s a full list of matches in alphabetical order taking place in Berkshire on Sunday:
- AFC Crowthorne vs Guildford Saints – TVCWFL3E (Morgan Recreation Ground 2pm)
- Ascot United vs Chesham United – County Cup (Ascot United FC 2pm)
- Ascot United Ladies Reserves vs Bessingby Park Rangers – TVCWFL3E (Venue TBC)
- Barton Rovers Royals vs Milton United – IBIS Club, Reading (County Cup 2pm)
- Eversley & California vs Widbrook Unite – Eversley Sports Assosication (County Cup 2pm)
- Holyport vs Oxford City Women U23 – Summerleaze Village (TVCWFL2 2pm)
- Mortimer vs Wallingford Town AFC – Alfred Palmer Memorial Field (County Cup 2pm)
- Newbury v Maidenhead United Dev – Donnington Rec (County Cup 2pm)
- Newbury Development vs Caversham AFC – TVCWFL3S (Venue TBC 2pm)
- Slough Town vs Wokingham & Emmbrook – Slough Town FC (County Cup 2pm)
- Thatcham & Newbury Town vs Taplow United – Thatcham Town FC (County Cup 2pm)
- Tilehurst Panthers vs Alton – SRWFL Div 1 (Linear Park 2pm)
- Wargrave vs Wantage Town – TVCWFL1 (Wargrave Rec 2pm)
Kelly Simmons, FA Director of the Women’s Professional Game said on the Football Association website: “Following on from a record-breaking FIFA Women’s World Cup and opening Barclays FA Women’s Super League weekend, there has never been a better time to visit your local team, and we encourage all supporters to get involved at all levels of the pyramid on 16-17 November.”